top of page
Typing on Computer


Looking to learn more?

Reach out to an Essex Mortgage Professional. 

Documents Needed for Your Next Loan

Updated: 4 days ago

Here is a list of documents you may need to get together before you apply for a loan. Gathering these documents in advance can make the process so much smoother for both you and the loan officer!

Man gathering and uploading documents needed for online loan application.

When applying for a home loan, make sure to have these documents ready:


  • Most recent pay stubs covering the last 30 days

  • W-2s for the last two calendar years

  • Two months most recent statements for all checking, savings, CD, money market, and/or securities-brokerage accounts (please include all pages even blank ones)

  • Two months most recent statements (or most current quarter) for all retirement accounts (IRAs, SEP-IRAs, 401Ks or 403Bs)

  • Most recent statement of stock options, employee stock option purchase plans, and similar only if you’re using them as part of the down payment or for closing costs

  • Federal tax returns (1040s) for the last two calendar years; please include complete returns with all schedules filed (State returns are not needed)

  • All federal K-1s, partnership returns (1065s) and corporate or S-corp. returns (1120s or 1120-Ss) for the last two calendar years (if applicable)

  • YTD Profit & Loss Statement if you’re self-employed or an independent contractor


  • Leases on all rental properties you may own, if applicable

  • Mortgage, real estate tax and insurance premium statements for these properties 

  • Most recent mortgage statement (refinance only)

  • Current year tax statement, if not reflected on mortgage statement (refinance only)

  • Insurance declaration page (refinance only)


  • Complete bankruptcy papers, if applicable

  • Divorce decree and settlement statements, if applicable and only if requested by Underwriting to verify receipt or obligation to pay alimony or child support or to verify the division of assets


  • Copy of state-issued driver's license (front and back) or passport showing your date of birth 

  • If not a U.S. citizen: a resident alien card (front and back); resident alien application or H1B or L1 Visa plus passport as applicable

Download the list so you can print it out by clicking here.

14 views0 comments


bottom of page